October 1, 2016
Message to Donald Trump from Mexico’s Ambassador to Malaysia
READ Bunn Nagara’s article here:
Mexico is convinced that the phenomenon of migration and refugees demands an integral approach with a shared responsibility of all the governments involved, with an inclusive and solidarity vision and full respect of human rights. Walls cannot solve the complexity of this global reality.–Carlos Félix, Ambassador of Mexico to Malaysia
REFERRING to the article “Realities behind the wall” by Bunn Nagara, (Sunday Star, September 25), I wish to make important clarifications about the view of Mexico on the polemic issue of building walls to deal with migration flows and the best way to treat migrants.
1. Migration is a complex social and economic phenomenon in almost all the regions of the world. In the case of Mexico, Central America and the United States, this issue has related mainly to complementary labour markets and family ties which have prevailed for many years without an integral solution.
2. Mexico recognises the important contributions of migrants. We are a country of origin, transit, destination and return of migrants. Mexico always has promoted the respect of human rights of all migrants with a dignified treatment as human beings looking for better opportunities.
3. In the discussion of the issue of undocumented migrants – no human being can be illegal – Mexico has proposed an integral approach with a shared responsibility of the governments involved to look for an orderly, safe and regular migration with full respect of human rights.
5. For all these reasons, Mexico does not favour walls in any place as part of the solution to this complex reality, as was cited in the article by Bunn Nagara.
Nieto (Mexico), Trudeau (Canada) and Obama (United States)
6. During the 71st Session of the UN Assembly, President Enrique Peña Nieto (pic) reaffirmed this position. He reiterated that the migrants and their rights, dignity and well-being should be the central element in the global dialogue to find solutions that require international cooperation to strengthen the capabilities of nations to address an integral attention of the migration phenomenon.
7. With this vision, Mexico has proposed to be the host for the preparatory conference for the adoption of the Global Pact for the Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration of 2018.
8. Mexico is convinced that the phenomenon of migration and refugees demands an integral approach with a shared responsibility of all the governments involved, with an inclusive and solidarity vision and full respect of human rights.
9. Walls cannot solve the complexity of this global reality.
Carlos Félix, Ambassador of Mexico to Malaysia