September 29, 2009
No-show in prosecution of Kugan’s death
by Rahmah Ghazali
The fuss over the expectation that a police officer would be charged this morning for the death of detainee Kugan Ananthan has fizzled.
Thus far, there is no sign that the case will come up at the Petaling Jaya Magistrate’s Court today, as anticipated.
Tun Majid Tun Hamzah, the head of prosecution in the attorney-general’s chambers, said “nothing has been confirmed” at this point.
Kugan’s uncle V Raviroy, who arrived at the court at 8am, said he is uncertain if the police personnel involved will be charged.
“I found out about this from (Kota Alam Shah assemblyperson and lawyer) M Manoharan, but up to 11am today, there has been no sign (of the police officer),” he said.
He and another of Kugan’s uncles, N Ravi, were accompanied by Manoharan and Kapar parliamentarian M Manikavasagam.
Reporters too had been waiting as early as 8am, only to find out that the case may be postponed. However, they are on standby for any developments.
Contacted this morning, Selangor police chief Khalid Abu Bakar indicated that he is in the dark.
“I haven’t any news about this and I am not sure what is happening at the moment,” he said.
Kugan, 23, died on Jan 20 at the USJ Taipan police station, five days after he was picked up in connection with a car theft case. His family has accused the police of foul play.
Two post-mortem examinations were conducted. The second of these revealed that Kugan had been beaten, burnt and starved prior to his death. Concerned groups have long complained about the lack of action in the case, which exploded into a national issue after a video recording revealed severe lacerations on Kugan’s body.