Hooligans at Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur


April 19, 2012

Hooligans at Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur

Malaysiakini @http://www.malaysiakini.com

A group of unknown assailants attacked the students occupying Dataran Merdeka in the wee hours of the morning today, beating up several of them, with one ending up in hospital.

thugs attacked student in dataran merdeka scene after the attack an injured studentThe assailants, many clad in black shirts, destroyed all the tents erected  last Saturday at the iconic public square in the city centre.

Malaysian Youth and Students Movement (Dema) coordinator Heng Kiah Chun told Malaysiakini that the incident took place about 2.45am and lasted around 15 minutes.

He said between 50 to 70 thugs encircled the students at the camp site, before provoking and beating them up.

They roughed up a number of students and dismantled all their 10 tents  which were set up as part of the push for free education.

Cameras,  mobile phones damaged

According to Heng, the students remained calm and refused to react to the provocation.students in dataran merdeka attacked by thugs crowdHowever, attempts to document the attack through cameras, camcorders and handphones apparently angered their attackers, who destroyed some of the recording devices.

Heng added that there were about a dozen police officers in the area but none of them did anything until the students’ leaders pleaded for help.

The thugs left the area when the police came in, and eyewitnesses said one or two of the perpetrators were arrested.

students in dataran merdeka attacked by thugs after the attackThe 100-odd students who are campaigning for the abolition of PTPTN (National Higher Education Loan Fund)  nevertheless appeared unfazed by the incident.

They held an impromptu meeting and voted to stay put at Dataran Merdeka.

“We will protect one another. We want action against the gangsterism,” they said.

A police report will be lodged later today.

VIDEO: 3:33 mins

UMNO-BN must win at whatever cost: Dato Mahfuz’s Expose’


April 4, 2012

UMNO-BN must win GE-13 whatever  it takes: Dato Mahfuz’s Expose’

by http://www.malaysiakini.com

PAS Vice-President Mahfuz Omar today claimed that he has evidence to show that the government has set up a ‘task force’ to naturalise foreigners so that they can vote in the upcoming general election.

Quoted in party organ Harakahdaily, Mahfuz (left) named an aide to Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak, and senior officials of the National Security Council, National Registration Department and the Election Commission.

The names have been withheld by Malaysiakini pending confirmation. “The BN government cannot face political pressure and are trying to deal with it by bringing in foreigners to vote for BN,” he told a press conference at the parliament lobby today.

He added that the evidence, which was not described by Harakahdaily, would warrant a royal commission of inquiry, and that the election cannot be held until the RCI’s report is ready.

When met later, Mahfuz refused to reveal how he got hold of this information nor substantiate his claim.”This is information obtained from within,” said Mahfuz, stressing that he cannot reveal his source.

However, Mahfuz said he would willing to reveal all should a RCI be formed to probe his claim. Supporting his call, PAS Youth information chief Ridhuan Mohd Nor in a statement said the allegations were “very serious” and concerned the sovereignity of the country. “This gives the impression that our country can at any time be sold to foreign powers by government leaders who betray the rakyat’s trust,” he said.

Last year, PAS activists had cornered bus loads of foreigners at a resort in Sungai Merab, who were allegedly part of a MyKad scam.  Police, however, claimed that the foreigners were there for an entrepreneurial course.

Additional reporting by S Pathmawathy in Parliament.