July 27, 2012
MACC welcomes evidence from former Ho Hup Managing Director
The former construction company managing director who had accused Attorney-General Abdul Gani Patail of corruption and abuse of power is welcome to submit any evidence to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to support his allegations, the commission said.
“If (former Ho Hup Construction Company Bhd managing director) Low Tuck Choy has any evidence that could support his allegations, he is most welcome to pass it to the MACC to assist in the investigations. So far, Low has not done so.
“For now, however, the commission is of the opinion that Low is not yet required to be called for questioning unless he has concrete evidence of the misconduct,” the MACC said in a statement today.
The commission was responding to Malaysiakini’s report yesterday, where Low complained that MACC had not called him to have his statement recorded and accused it of not taking action on his report, lodged in 2010.
Low also quoted Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Liew Vui Kong as telling the Parliament last month that the MACC is still considering the possibility of investigating the allegations.
Denying this, the MACC said, “In actual fact, MACC started its investigations to this case on September 9, 2011, right after information pertaining to this case was received from the public.
“Following this, the commission had taken proactive steps to initiate investigations on the allegation.”
The MACC statement today raises questions on whether Liew could have misled parliament in his reply to a question on this issue from Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo.
Police have taken Low’s statement
In a related development, police have taken Low’s statement recently after he lodged the Police report on July 20 at the Kuala Lumpur Police station. However, it was learnt that other authorities, namely the MACC, have yet to take his statement.
Low had alleged in his Police report that the RM18,000 payment for electrical work for a bungalow in Seremban was paid by Ho Hup on behalf of Abdul Gani in 2009. This was done through a Ho Hup cash voucher with Abdul Gani’s name on it, and other documents pertaining to this transaction are genuine, he said.
He has also alleged that Abdul Gani was involved in the Ho Hup boardroom tussle where the A-G was said to be favouring fellow Sabahan and former company Deputy chairperson Vincent Lye.
When contacted by Malaysiakini, Low confirmed the Police had taken his statement following the report he lodged last week.
“An officer from commercial crime recorded my statement but the person did not indicate under what section the investigations are being done,” he said.
When asked whether the MACC or officers from the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry had also approached him following his report, Low said no.
However, the 54-year-old former Ho Hup managing director said he is willing to extend his cooperation when needed.
Besides lodging a complaint to the MACC, Low had also complained to Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Minister Ismail Sabri over Ho Hup’s predicament in 2010. All this while Abdul Gani has denied owning any house in Seremban.