April 4, 2012
BERSIH3.0 Rally is on: April 28, 2012
The Bersih committee announced this morning that its next rally will be held at 2pm on April 28, at Dataran Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur.
The theme of the rally, dubbed Bersih 3.0, is Duduk Bantah (sit-down protest), joint chairperson A Samad Said told a press conference.
Ambiga Sreenevasan said the focus of Bersih 3.0 would be on three key demands:
- The EC must resign.
- The electoral process must be cleaned up before the next general election.
- International observers should be allowed to monitor the polls.
Ambiga also said that Himpunan Hijau will hold its 3.0 rally alongside BERSIH 3.0. The committee had yesterday said that the report of the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) on electoral reform had failed in key areas.
The coalition of NGOs had previously warned that another rally would be held if its demands were not met as a result of the PSC process.
The PSC was formed after BERSIH 2.0 led a rally of about 15,000 people in Kuala Lumpur on July 9 last year to back eight demands for electoral reform. The first Bersih rally had been held in 2007 with an estimated 40,000 people walking to the Istana Negara gates to submit a memorandum to His Majesty The Yang DiPertuan Agong.
- Netto on PSC Report on Electoral Reform (dinmerican.wordpress.com)
- Bersih hints of another rally if polls reform fails (hornbillunleashed.wordpress.com)
- Dato A Samad Said is Co-Chairman of BERSIH (dinmerican.wordpress.com)